Awards and Authorisation
As a pioneer in whale watching in Iceland, North Sailing has recieved multiple awards both domestically and internationally. North Sailing takes great pride in having received these prestigious awards and is always striving to do better. North Sailing is also a member of travel associations and authorised by official safety authorities.
- 1996 - Environmental Award from the Icelandic Tourist Board which plays an extensive role in the Icelandic tourism industry and is responsible to the Minister of communication.
- 1996 - Silver Otter Award from the British Guild of Travel Writers which is UK’s premier association of media professionals who focus on travels.
- 2003 - Scandinavian Travel Award.
- 2007 - The Innovation Award from The Icelandic Travel Industry Association which is the mutual venue of Icelandic companies operating in the field of travel and tourism. Its purpose is to promote and protect the common interest of the membership and to work towards improved proficiency of both staff and management.
- 2010 - The Icelandic Web Awards Best sales and marketing web for company counting 50 employees or less.
- 2012 - TripAdvisor® Certificate of Excellence award. The award celebrates hospitality excellence and is given only to businesses that consistently achieve outstanding traveller reviews on TripAdvisor.
- 2013 - TripAdvisor® Certificate of Excellence award. To qualify for the Certificate of Excellence, businesses must maintain an overall rating of four or higher, out of a possible five, as reviewed by travelers on TripAdvisor.
- Icelandic Tourist Board.
- The Icelandic Maritime Administration.
- Lloyd’s Register of Shipping.
Our whale watching vessels undergo strict inspections in compliance with the rules and regulations of Icelandic Maritime Administration. All crew members attend regular courses and training in maritime safety and life saving at the Maritime Safety and Survival Training Centre which is a member of the International Associaton for Safety and Survival Training.
Passengers and crew on our whale watching tours are insured by VÍS insurance.