Interesting Facts about North Sailing
- North Sailing was the first company in Iceland to organise and offer regular whale watching tours.
- Having carried more than 300.000 visitors in about 8000 tours North Sailing is the most experienced whale watching company in Iceland.
- Some of our skippers have for decades been working as fishermen in the area.
- All the boats are traditional wooden fishing boats, which have been carefully restored and adapted to a new role without compromising their original character.
- Our skippers have an average of about 10 years of working life within North Sailing.
- North Sailing is only operating environmentally friendly and silent oak-built boats on its whale watching tours.
- North Sailing is a family company, owned and run by three generations.
- Two-masted schooners, similar to Haukur and Hildur, were typical deck-boats along the north coast of Iceland at the end of the 19th century. Today Haukur and Hildur are the only traditional gaff rigged sailboats in Iceland, and play an important role preserving knowledge of handling and maintaining traditional sailing vessels.