Built at the Bodenwerft in Damgarten, Germany in 1951, she served as a trawler in the Baltic- and North Sea and in the Barents Sea. In 1973 new owners started her restoration. During 8 years until 1981, Opal was converted to the elegant but seaworthy, two masted schooner she is today. She has sailed all over the world, completing several trans-Atlantic crossings, being carefully maintained through the years. Opal has remained with the same owners, until becoming part of North Sailing´s fleet in early 2013. She has undergone restoration and had interior work done to better fit her for the new purpose as an expedition ship.
The Opal has six double/twin cabins plus crew facilities. She has three bathrooms, two showers. She comfortably fits 12 passengers, plus her crew.
|LOA:||33 m (LOD 24m)|
|Sail area:||380 sqm|
|Built, where:||Damgarten, Germany|
|Port of registry:||Húsavík|