North Sailing has from the beginning put weight on environmental protection and careful behavior towards the marine wildlife. The company is committed to acquiring knowledge on the environmental impact of its operations and to reducing any impact.
North Sailing has adopted an active environmental policy based on the idea of sustainable development. We operate with respect for the environment to ensure the long-term protection of natural and cultural resources in fair and viable way.
North Sailing is an active partner of Festa – the Icelandic Center for Corporate Social Responsibility, and has declared its participation in the Responsible tourism incentive project. The project´s purpose is to maintain Iceland´s status as optimal future destination for tourists by supporting sustainability for future generations of the nation.
The goals we have set ourselves are as follows:
Demonstrate exemplary behavior and respect for nature.
- Making our whole fleet run on renewable energy by 2030.
- Maintaining the best available pollution control when renewing and maintaining equipment.
- Ensuring the best possible encounter, both for animal welfare and passenger enjoyment.
- The speed of the boats has been moderated to reduce energy consumption, to decrease the noise for the passengers and to minimize the disturbance on the whales.
- Increasing development, understanding, and awareness of appropriate practices when watching cetaceans.
- Training our employees and making our customers aware of our environmental policy and by providing information on how they can participate.
- Sorting and reducing garbage that is produced within the company.
- Implementing measurable goals regarding environmental issues in order to survey the company´s environmental performance and status.
- Reducing CO2 emissions from our fleet by planting trees.
- Promoting sustainable development with reduced use of raw materials, recovery, and re-use.
- By opposing whale killing and supporting the protection of endangered species.
- We promote “Meet Us Don´t Eat Us,” campaign that aims to inform and educate tourists about few key facts regarding whale meat consumption and gain their support to protect whales by ending commercial whaling.
Ensure the safety of guests and treat them courteously.
- We aim to continually improve training strategy of our staff.
- By performing annual risk assessments.
- We have active response strategy´s and train our staff at first aid and maintain that training every two years.
- All boats and facilities are well maintained and licensed to operate.
- Everybody on our crew are licensed to sail and operate our ships.
Respect the rights of employees.
- Staff interviews are conducted annually.
- Employees can contact a confidant within the company regarding rights and safety.
- By implementing education on rights into training process of new staff.
- We strive to create work environment that supports and increases job satisfaction.
Have a positive impact on the local community.
- Supporting researchers from the University of Iceland, don’t hesitate to enquire them about their work if you see them on board our boats.
- Choosing local suppliers when possible.
- By participating in projects that aim to improve awareness regarding nature and wildlife.