North Sailing expands operations
Entering its 17th year at the forefront of whale watching in Iceland the year 2011 will be one of tremendous progress for North Sailing as plans to expand operations in North Iceland have been implemented.
Situated West of Húsavík at the mouth of Eyjafjörður fjord the quaint village of Ólafsfjörður has been chosen as new base for whale watching tours scheduled to start in summer 2011. Building on years of success in Húsavík operating environmentally friendly traditional Icelandic oak boats the plan is to run similar three hour tours with daily departures.
Over the past few years the area known as Fjallabyggð which includes the villages Ólafsfjörður and Siglufjörður has enjoyed an impressive growth in coastal culture, preservation of national heritage and diversification of tourism facilities.
- In Ólafsfjörður ambitious plans are under way seeking both to increase and improve facilities and services related to whale watching and ocean tourism activities.
- Siglufjörður village boasts Iceland’s largest maritime museum, as well as many ambitious developments of harbor-front and marina restaurants.
- Ólafsfjörður is a prime location for whale watching literally minutes from feeding grounds of whales, dolphins and porpoises.
- Completion of Héðinsfjarðargöng tunnel has revolutionized communications in the area cutting travel time dramatically as well as increasing safety. (Driving time from Akureyri to Siglufjörður has been reduced from 2,5 hrs to approx 1 hr).
- Pioneering improvement of recreational infrastructure in Ólafsfjörður, Hotel Brimnes is one of North Sailings closest partners in the area.
The Húsavík-based company’s Chief Executive Mr. Hörður Sigurbjarnarson says the company’s plans are under-lined in the market opportunities identified in these places.
“North Sailing has reached a very exciting stage in its growth. The move to Ólafsfjörður fjord will allow us to better serve our customers and partners and up the tempo of our overall activities significantly as a result.”
North Sailing looks forward to strong administrative support and cooperation coupled with aggressive energies in the tourism sector taking Ólafsfjörður quickly and effectively to a new level of competitiveness – as a multifaceted whale watching destination encompassing vibrant tourism and recreation.
Operation is planned to start in June, 2011.
Further information will soon be available on www.northsailing.is